Sitting in the Inaugural service yesterday morning at St. John's church in Washington DC, President Obama tweeted this message to his followers on Twitter:
He said, "I'm honored and grateful that we have a chance to finish what we started. Our work begins today. Let's go -bo."
A quick glance over the shoulder tells what he "started" in his first 4 years, and likely what he will attempt to finish in his remaining 4 years.
But there was a phrase in his Inaugural speech that caught my attention, and quiet frankly was exactly what I have been thinking.
First a defining glance back at the path he has chosen for America---without commentary from me:
- Obamacare. The most significant swerve toward socialism in the history of America.
- Economy upside down. Not Bush's economy, Obama's economy. One example: Gallon of Gas 1-20-09= $1.84. Gallon of gas 1-21-2013= $3.26.
- Debt. Trillions and Trillions, growing daily. More than all of the first 42 Presidents combined. $50,521 of national debt per household.
- Employment. Unemployment same as when he took office, but there are 8,332,000 fewer Americans in the work force than when he took office.
- Government Dependence. 1,385,418 more Americans collecting disability than 4 years ago--record number 8,827,795 now collecting. 4,300,000 on welfare and 46,700,000 receiving food stamps.
- Disastrous investments in "green" industry. Solyndra. And others. Vowing more action.
- Expanded the abortion industry here in the US and around the world through his policies. Vowing more.
- Came out in support of redefining marriage, eliminated "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," refuses to defend the Defense of Marriage Act and renews vows to homosexual agenda during the Inauguration speech and program.
Got it. That's his pathway and what he plans to finish.
Ironically, there was a part of his speech I agreed with. Perhaps there was an unintended prophetic tone to it.
He said, "The people have the obligation to shape the debates of our time."
"Not only with the votes we cast, but with the voices we lift in defense of our most ancient and enduring values."
I'm not sure why a secular progressive president who is working tirelessly to redefine marriage and morality, and "remake" America, would reference "ancient" values, but I agree.
And speaking of ancient--- it was Jeremiah, about 2600 years ago, who told his country that if they did not return to the ancient path and values, they would face certain judgement and destruction.
Jeremiah 6: 16: "Stand in the ways and see, and ask for the old paths, where the good way is, and walk in it."
The country said, "We will not walk in it," and, "We will not listen."
And it is written that stumbling blocks were placed before them and "fathers and sons" fell on them---"neighbors and friends disappeared."
People of faith, have an obligation to shape the debate of our time. Not an obligation to our political system or party, but to the God who gave the ideals and values and associated freedoms.
We have an obligation "Not only with your votes, but by raising your voices in defense" of these ancient and enduring values.
There is no question our country is headed down the wrong path morally, as well as fiscally.
Will you be a voice in shaping the debate for the soul of our country?
Will you lift your voice in defense of these values and principles?
We do our best every day to raise our voice in defense of these values. And to take actions that will help shape the debate.
Your support allows us to speak and act.
Be Active. Be Vigilant. Be Discerning. Be Prayerful. Be Blessed.