- Taxpayer funding is up. Record high amount.
- The number of abortions reached a record high.
- Abortions made up 92% of Planned Parenthood's pregnancy services.
- Cancer screening and prevention services continues to drop.
- Planned Parenthood reported $87 million in excess revenue during the period.
Here are more numbers and details behind the assault on the unborn:
Dan Kennedy, CEO of Human Life of Washington, researched PP's report and found the following:
- During fiscal year 2011-2012, Planned Parenthood reported receiving a record $542 million in taxpayer funding in the form of government grants, contracts, and Medicaid reimbursements. Taxpayer funding consists of 45% of Planned Parenthood’s annual revenue. Planned Parenthood reported $87.4 million in excess revenue, and more than $1.2 billion in net assets.
- In 2011, Planned Parenthood performed a record-high 333,964 abortions. Over the past three reported years (2009-2011),Planned Parenthood has performed nearly one million abortions (995,687).
- Planned Parenthood reported a total of three million clients in 2011, meaning that 11% of all Planned Parenthood clients received an abortion.
- In 2011, abortions made up 92% of Planned Parenthood’s pregnancy services, while prenatal care and adoption referrals accounted for only 7% (28,674) and 0.6% (2,300), respectively. For every adoption referral, Planned Parenthood performed 145 abortions.
- Cancer screening & prevention services and contraceptive services provided by Planned Parenthood continue to drop. Contraceptive services have dropped by 12% since 2009, and cancer screening & prevention services have dropped by 29%.
A Fact Sheet has been prepared. You may copy it or forward it to people whom you feel should be informed. Or simply forward this blog with the links.
The striking fact, of course, is that Planned Parenthood performed a record high 333,964 abortions, meaning they have performed nearly a million abortions over the past 3 years. For every adoption referral, they performed 145 abortions.
If you can look past that atrocity for a moment, it is stunning that taxpayers wrote a check to Planned Parenthood for a record $542,000,000. And Planned Parenthood reported they had $87,400,000 in excess revenue.
Over the past several years I have spoken to several state legislators about putting forward legislation that would reduce or eliminate taxpayer funding to Planned Parenthood in Washington State.
To be sure, there are a number of pro-life legislators who agree and are committed to such an effort. However, two Republican legislators told me they thought it would be "politically risky" as well as impossible because of the strong lobby of Planned Parenthood, NARAL and other pro-abortion organizations.
I agree it is difficult to pass pro-family and pro-life legislation in Washington State. But for a Republican to look at the task as "politically risky" is both disappointing and concerning.
One of the people who told me that is no longer serving in the legislature. The other one continues to serve.
There is much work to do. May God help us.
Be Vigilant. Be Discerning. Be Prayerful. Be Active. Be Informed. Be Blessed.